Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Week 5 in Redlands- Dogs and Halloween Parties

First transfer is almost over!!  Crazy, right?  It feels like I have been here forever!  This week was a whole lot of crazy-

On Wednesday we had exchanges but this time I stayed here in our area with another hermana and that was a terrifying and stressful day but we did a lot of walking and somehow I survived and didn't completely destroy Fontana!
Who knew Halloween was such a controversial holiday?!  I guess I should have thought of that before but we did reverse trick-or-treating so we made like 150 cute pumpkin sugar cookies and decorated them and delivered them to people in our area and most people were really excited because oh how stinking cute the missionaries made us pumpkin cookies!  But then there were a few who were like offended and gave us 30 minute lectures on what a terrible holiday this is and how they cant believe that the church supports it by doing a trunk-or-treat.  Awkward.  But the people who do celebrate Halloween really go all out.  We stopped by a baby-shower/Halloween party which was easily the strangest party I've ever been to.  There was a bounce house and a dj and sooo much food and I didn't even see the baby.  Then on Halloween we had dinner at a member's home and she was getting ready for a massive Halloween party (obviously there was a bounce-house there too).  We had to be in our apartments by 6:00 so we took all of the good candy and went home to finish our weekly planning  wahoo!!  We also crashed a birthday party on Sunday and they fed me oysters with hot sauce.
This week was awesome because we saw tons of real dogs!  Butterball (aka el gordo) is my new favorite and he belongs to a member, the golden was just wandering around our apartment complex, and that rottweiler lives at a potentials so every time we go to knock on her door he barks and growls and tries to jump over the fence which is actually terrifying.  
We are working really hard this week on finding new people to teach.  We have a couple of really awesome potentials so we are praying that they are prepared and ready for us!  We spend a lot of our time working with our recent converts and they are awesome!  My testimony grew this week about involving the Lord in every aspect of my day, and I know that when I do, not only does everything go better but everything has more meaning.  We got to teach a Sunday School class yesterday about the ten virgins and we talked about how we can fill our lamps.  Every single day we all have experiences that can strengthen us but it's completely up to us whether we let them roll right past us or if we absorb them and use the Atonement to let them change us and make us better.  My goal this week is to involve the Lord more so that everything I do will have significance and will add oil to my lamp.  

Mexican Advice for the Week: Only let yourself eat two tortillas per meal until you're married, then you can eat as many as you want.

Hope you are having a great no-shave November without me because I guess that's not allowed on the mish.
Love you all,

Hermana Smith















No comments:

Post a Comment