Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Birthdays, Zoos, and Lots and Lots of Miracles



This week has been really really good.  It rained a lot.  Like so much.  Yesterday we got caught in some crazy fuerte rain and I was drenched!  And all of the houses have metal roofs so when it starts to rain you have to yell to be heard and then it will ease up and you realize you are screaming so you feel awkward and go back to normal but then it starts all over again.  

On Tuesdays we have our usual district meeting and correlation and this week we took our super super old ward mission leader out visiting with us.  Turns out that that was exactly what needed to happen!  We have a family that we have been teaching since February and they are progressing but very slowly.  About 30 years ago he talked with some elders and almost got baptized but not quite.  When we brought Hno O to their house he recognized him from 30 years ago when he went to church (Hno Obando is pretty unforgetable).  We had a really awesome lesson about the spirit and without any real prompting from us this investigator told us this analogy about a man who is drowning and he prays to God ¨save me¨ and then a plane drives right by him but he does nothing.  He prays to god ¨save me¨ and then a boat goes right by but he does nothing and then he drowns and when he gets to heaven he asks God ¨why didnt you save me!?¨   Then he said that he missed the plane 30 years ago but that he wasnt going to miss the boat this time and that he thinks its about time he was a latter-day saint.  WHAT?!  I just about cried I was so happy and just shocked.  We are so happy and so excited to help this family prepare for baptism!
That was our big miracle for this week and could we really ask for any more?

Saturday was my comps birthday but one of our elders was going on divisions saturday so we had a little surprise party on friday night.  When your comp is the only one in the whole district who doesn't understand english it is way too easy to plan surprises.  The cakes here are all really not that good so we splurged on a real ice cream cake from dairy queen and it was totally worth it!  The rest of the birthday celebrations were fun!  Saturday was actually another really good day.  I taught english class which I havent done I think at all this transfer and it was the first time that I could really tell how much my spanish has improved with a native comp.  The class went really well and we found some new investigators.  We had a whole bunch of people who told us they were coming but didnt show up. why?  because it was raining!  are you kidding me people?  you have got to come up with a better excuse than that because it rains everyday for over half the year in this country, you cannot tell me you couldnt leave the house becuase it was raining.  

Also on saturday we needed a few more contacts to reach our goal so I decided to contact a bus.  This bus at this time usually has like 10 maybe 15 people so I waited until right before they were about to leave to get up and ask the driver if I could talk.  Right as I stood up, all of the people who were waiting outside the bus started to get on and wouldnt you know that tonight they filled the whole bus (a giant shcool bus) so full that there were people standing up inthe aisle.  But I had already asked the driver and he turned off the bus so people could hear me so I had to do it.    I started off with this classic line ¨buenas noches, si puedo tener un minuto de su tiempo.  Yo soy la hermana Smith y yo se que estan pensando pero no, no soy de japon¨ ["Good evening, if I could have a minute of your time. I am Sister Smith and I know what you are thinking but no, I'm not from Japan."]  As soon as I said Japan I had everyones attention haha.  

Today was the zone pday and we went to a zoo in a place called Valle Anton.  Lots of cool birds and a really giant pig...pictures and videos to come.  It is the last p-day for both of our zone leaders and one of our z-ellas (sister leaders) which was sad for me because they have all been super awesome and helped me a ton to transition into this mission.  Our zone is super fun and I have come to super love a lot of the hermanas!  

One more miracle for the week- remember those youth that came and brought their sisters last week?  well this week they showed up with their mom too and they are all super stoked to learn!  

I seriously could not be any more convinced that this is truly the Lord´s work and I feel so humbled and so excited to be a part of it!!  

les quiero mucho!!

Hermana Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment