Wednesday, May 20, 2015

"Hermana There Is A Chicken In Your Washing Machine"

Hello family!

This week was another good one!  We have been working hard these past 3 weeks and this week we were able to see the blessings!  We taught some awesome lessons to new investigators and saw some great progress in our old investigators!  A few experiences that stood out this week-

We had an appointment with an investigator named B and as a goal we are trying to have a member in every single lesson we have with investigators.  We called everyone we could think of but no one could come with us so we went to the lesson by ourselves.  We taught the restoration and she was really attentive and had good, sincere questions.  We were just about to finish the lesson when we see our ward mission leader come running around the corner.  He had told us that he couldn't come but he felt prompted that he needed to be in that lesson so he left work early and ran up the huge loma to her house!  Turns out they are actually long time friends and he bore a really powerful testimony about the restoration and at the end she said ¨you know I dont think I would have accepted the missionaries but I knew that you were a member and I have always admired how faithful and true you were to your religion so I decided to listen to them¨   Just a reminder that our examples do matter and people are watching us and they see that we are different.  
    She was supposed to come to church on sunday but didn't make it.  She seemed really sincere when she told us she would come so we went to go visit her after church and we had the plan of salvation as a lesson plan.  Turns out she didn't come to church because her uncle died and she had to go to the funeral.  It was the perfect timing for a lesson about the plan God has for all of us and the spirit was SO strong when we talked about the spirit world and that right now her uncle is learning the exact same things that we are teaching her right now.  The gospel is SO real and I am so grateful for the lessons we were able to have with B this week!

  This area is a little different than my last.  There are more churches here and the people are tired of hearing about churches and religion so the contacting is a lot harder.  Last night we had dinner with the 1st councilor in the bishopbric.  He is super excited about missionary work and he sat down with us and made a list of all of the part member families that he knows about.  He got really intense about how the ward isn't excited about missionary work and how we need to help the members help us.  Then he told us a whole bunch of stories when Jesus Christ taught with authority and he reminded us that we have that same authority. 
 ¨Ok hermanas you are going to share a scripture with my family and commit us to find you a new investigator this week.  I want to see how you teach with authority.¨ Woah talk about pressure.  But we shared a really awesome scripture in 2 Nephi about the importance of sharing the gospel and they committed to find us one new investigator this week.  
   It really made me think about the most effective way to do missionary work and it isn't knocking doors-it's working with the members and I am so excited to apply this new animo and find tons of new people to teach!  He said something that I hadn't thought about- that the scriptures say that when we bring people to the gospel we have sins forgiven.  So when we try to do missionary work without the members not only are we working ineffectively, we are also keeping the members from recieving the blessings and forgiveness.  I am super grateful that we have a ward full of faithful members who are excited about missionary work!!

My favorite moment of this week was a fhe we had last night.  We walked in and I noticed a chicken just chilling under the clothes in the washing machine.  I thought it was funny but actually kind of normal becuase there are just so many chickens all over this house.  We taught the lesson, sung the himno, finished, and then I remembered i had seen the chicken so I go ¨Hna, hay una gallina en su lavadora¨ and she goes ¨what?!¨ and runs to the lavadora and pulls out a chicken and surprise!  2 eggs along with it!  I dont know why I thought that was so funny but I had a really good laugh...welcome to Panama!

2 little miracles-  -we went to pick up a less active for church and she saw us coming from up the street and came out all dressed up with her 2 grandsons too!
- A really awesome couple in our ward brought a very prepared friend to church.  Can't wait to start teaching her!

Well that's all I got from Biancheri this week!

Hermana Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment