Sunday, August 30, 2015

This Week In La Chorrera (June 29)

  I haven't done miracles in a while so here it goes.  The miracles we saw this week in Biancheri-

- One of the members bought a horse.  Literally the most random thing ever because there are no horses around here but they felt like buying a horse so they did.  Most of the time it is just chillin in the backyard but they also tie it up in other places when it runs out of grass to eat in their backyard.  The miracle is that when I am feeling tired or hot or thinking about trunky things...boom there's the horse tied up in the most unexpected places!  I feed it some grass and my companion practices contacting him in english and suddenly we feel a lot better:)

- Yesterday we were walking past a house and I yelled `buenas!`  and three huge dogs come running out of the house and started chasing me and I just closed my eyes and forced myself to walk slowly, praying so hard and just telling myself `dont run dont run dont run maybe they will leave you alone` I opened my eyes and there are all three of them right around me barking and growling and my comp is on the other side of the street just staring at me and I`m yelling `ayudame!` and all the people on the street are just standing there laughing at me.  I seriously thought I was going to die but I kept walking slowly past the house and my comp threw a rock and they went away.  So far my legs are super covered in scars from mosquitos but miraculously I dont have a single dog bite!

- Ok so this week my real miracle is Carlos and Ana.  We contacted Carlos while he was walking to the chino a few weeks ago and he is the greatest.  A little over a year ago he had a pretty serious seizure that left him completely immobile.  He did some rehabilitation and now he can walk mas o menos with a cane and talk but it's hard to understand.  They couldn't afford more therapy, even with Ana working all day, everyday so he hasn't progressed much in the past year.  We have been visiting and teaching them about the plan of salvation and the atonement.  I don't know if I have ever taught someone who needed it as much as this family needs the peace and the healing that the gospel of Jesus Christ provides. 
   Easily one of the coolest lessons I have ever been a part of was talking to Carlos about prayer.  We asked him if he had prayed about the Book of Mormon and he told us no.  He insists on prayers with Ana at night and in the mornings but he had never actually offered the prayer.  He said that he's embarrassed about the way he speaks and that he wasn't sure if God would understand him.  Also that because of past sins that he wasn't sure if God would want to hear him.  We were able to teach him about our loving Heavenly Father who is always anxious to hear our prayers and that our prayers don't have to be formal and out loud.  God knows every thought and every feeling and His arms are always outstretched to receive us.  Always.  
  There is a girl in the ward who is preparing to leave on her mission and we took her with us to a lesson.  That was inspired.  She has taken on Carlos and Ana and now the whole ward is involved!  We have a member who is a physical therapist and he met with Carlos and Ana to evaluate and create an exercise plan.  All of the young single adults signed up for days in the week to help him with the rehab and read in the scriptures!  
   The best miracle is that they live close enough to the church that he can walk there without getting too tired and they were able to come yesterday!  I am so so so grateful for prepared people, amazing members, and this amazing message of hope and healing that I get to share!  

Katie




No comments:

Post a Comment